7 Questions to Ask Your Potential Truck Accident Lawyer
Fatality crashes involving trucks and truck drivers are continuing to rise year over year. If you were recently involved in a truck accident, it’s important to find a truck crash lawyer. An experienced truck accident lawyer can help you fight for fair compensation too.
Otherwise, you might have to cover your future, medical bills, costs, bills and property damages on your own.
Don’t hire the first truck accident attorney you find, though. Instead, ask these seven questions to vet your options. Asking these questions will help you find the best truck accident lawyer for your truck accident case.
They’ll fight at your side with your best interests in mind.
Win the compensation and lose money you deserve! Keep reading to discover the seven questions you need to ask before hiring a truck accident’ lawyer today.
1. How Long Have You Practiced Law?
First, develop a list of potential truck driver and accident lawyers to contact. You can check your local bar association website or the Martindale-Hubbell directory. Otherwise, Google “truck accident lawyer near me.”
There are now over 135,000 personal injury lawyers in the US. Personal injury lawyers handle a mix of cases, including car and truck accidents. Not every truck accident lawyer will have the experience or expertise you need, though.
To narrow down your options, ask each lawyer on your list how long they’ve practiced law.
Finding someone with years of experience will give you peace of mind in their abilities. Otherwise, you could end up with someone who just passed the bar exam.
An experienced lawyer will understand the complexities of your case. They’ll know which laws and procedures are relevant to your lawsuit. They might know a few recent cases that could impact your lawsuit as well.
Ask each lawyer how many cases they’ve handled in the past two years, too. You don’t want someone who took a break for a while. It’s possible their information is out-of-date.
Instead, choose an experienced lawyer who will have the know-how you need to win your lawsuit.
2. Do You Specialize in Truck Accident Cases?
Remember, personal injury truck accident lawyers handle a mix of different cases. For example, most with large trucking companies have accident cases they might handle medical malpractice, premise liability, and car accidents. To find the best truck accident lawyer for your case, consider their specialty.
It’s not enough to find someone with years of experience. You need to make sure their experience is relevant to your case, too.
Ask each lawyer how long they’ve specialized in trucking accident lawsuits. How many trucking accident or truck accident injury cases have they handled overall? Ask how many of those serious trucking accidents or accident injury cases were recent, too.
A lawyer with the right specialty will have the know-how relevant to your case. They can give your case an advantage.
A lawyer with a broad focus, on the other hand, might not know the laws that are relevant to your case.
Find a lawyer with experience practicing in the area, too. Some laws can vary based on where you are. Look for someone licensed to practice in the state.
3. What is Your Track Record With Similar Cases?
As you start narrowing down your options, make sure each truck accident lawyer on your list is a winner. Ask about the most truck accident cases they handled recently. What was the outcome for each truck accident case involving them?
What strategy did they use? How much did the lawyer win for their client?
Ask each lawyer if they’ve handled a case that’s similar to yours as well. What was the outcome for that case?
You can also ask each law firm and lawyer about their track record. How many lawsuits have they won versus lost? How many have they settled out of court?
Don’t choose a lawyer who is apprehensive about going to court. They might accept a lower payout on your behalf. These lawyers don’t have your best interests in mind.
4. What Fee Structure Do You Use?
Before you hire a truck accident attorney, ask each truck accident lawyer posted above on your list about their fee structure. How do they charge clients? Make sure to get an itemized list of potential expenses.
You don’t want to come across any surprises after you hire them.
Consider finding a lawyer who works on a contingency fee basis. These lawyers will only accept payment if they win your lawsuit. They’ll only ask for a percentage of your winnings, too.
These lawyers will fight even harder to win your case.
5. Can I Speak With Your Recent Clients?
Every lawyer will try to convince you that they’re the best person to handle your truck accident claim or lawsuit. You don’t have to take their word for it. Instead, ask to speak with at least three of their recent clients.
Speaking with their clients will help you learn about each lawyer from someone who was once in your shoes.
Ask each client if the lawyer’s experience was:
- A strong communicator
- Able to keep their client informed
Ask each client if they experienced any legal fees or issues with their attorney, too. Were they satisfied with the outcome of their case?
You can also find reviews on the lawyer’s BBB and Google My Business listings.
6. How Will You Approach My Case?
Ask each lawyer how they plan on approaching your case. Make sure they keep the specifics of your lawsuit in mind. They shouldn’t use a cookie-cutter approach.
Instead, they should create a customized plan based on your personal relationships, goals and situation.
Ask experienced attorney if they’ll call in any experts, too. For example, did medical records or the police report say you sustain a severe truck accident injury? Your lawyer might call a medical expert to testify.
7. What Outcome Do You Expect?
Ask each lawyer what outcome favorable settlement they expect for the insurance company in your truck accident lawsuit as well.
The lawyer shouldn’t make outlandish promises. Instead, they should help you maintain realistic expectations. Their assessment of your case and legal background can help you keep a realistic mindset before you decide to pursue the case.
Don’t Crash Your Case: 7 Questions to Ask Your Potential Truck Accident Lawyer
Remember, you don’t have to hire the first truck accident lawyer you find online. Instead, ask these seven questions to vet your options. With these tips, you can find the best truck accident lawyer for your lawsuit.
They’ll fight with your best interests in mind.
Want to discuss your case with a lawyer you can trust? We’re here to help. Contact us today for a first free consultation and free case evaluation.
- Q: What is the importance of a lawyer’s experience in handling truck accident cases? A: An experienced truck accident lawyer understands the complexities of your case and knows which laws and procedures are relevant to your lawsuit. They may also know of recent cases that could impact your lawsuit. A lawyer with specific experience in truck accidents has relevant knowledge that can give your case an advantage.
- Q: Why should I ask a potential lawyer about their specialization in truck accident cases? A: Personal injury lawyers handle a mix of different cases. It’s essential to ensure that your lawyer’s experience is relevant to your case. A lawyer with the right specialization will have the specific know-how relevant to your case. A lawyer with a broad focus might not be familiar with the laws specific to truck accidents.
- Q: Why is the lawyer’s track record in similar cases important? A: The track record of a lawyer can give you an insight into their capability and effectiveness. If they’ve won similar cases to yours in the past, they may be well equipped to handle your case as well. Avoid lawyers who are hesitant about going to court, as they might not fight hard enough for your case.
- Q: What is a contingency fee basis, and why should I consider a lawyer who uses this fee structure? A: A contingency fee basis means the lawyer will only accept payment if they win your lawsuit. They’ll ask for a percentage of your winnings. Lawyers who work on a contingency fee basis have a vested interest in winning your case and may fight harder for you.
- Q: Why should I ask to speak with a lawyer’s recent clients? A: Speaking with recent clients can give you firsthand insight into how the lawyer handles cases and treats their clients. These past clients can share their experiences, whether positive or negative, which can provide a more complete picture of the lawyer’s professional conduct, communication style, and effectiveness.