Nobody expects to get hurt in a car accident.
According to the Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety, car crashes killed 1,500 Georgians in 2016.
Thousands more sustain serious and disabling injuries in traffic crashes in Georgia. One of the first questions you may if you’re injured in a collision is how to get the compensation you deserve.
You may be wondering: do I need to hire a car accident lawyer to get compensation?
We will explain how to get money from a car accident without a lawyer. We will also explain how an attorney can help you recover more than if you pursue a claim by yourself.
Filing a Car Accident Claim and Providing Evidence
If you’re involved in a car crash, the first step in getting money without a lawyer is filing a car insurance claim. If you want to file your claim without legal representation, keep the following in mind:
- Report the accident to your insurance company. Do it as soon as possible to remain eligible for compensation.
- Decide whether to file a first-party claim or a third-party claim. Georgia is an “at-fault” state when it comes to car accident claims. You have a choice under Georgia law to file a first-party or third-party claim. File a claim with your insurance company (first-party claim) or with the insurance company of the at-fault driver (third-party claim).
- Only provide facts to the insurance company. Remember that even your own insurer is not on your side and is not your advocate. Do not give your opinion or any other subjective details. If you do, the insurance company may hold your statements against you.
- Provide evidence of the other driver’s fault. Take photos at the scene of the accident, witness statements, and a police report. These items will help prove that the other driver was at fault.
- If you do not get full compensation through an insurance claim, file a personal injury lawsuit. Most car accident lawsuits have a two-year statute of limitations in Georgia.
Hiring a Car Accident Lawyer Can Increase Your Compensation
It may seem appealing to handle your claim on your own. However, working with a lawyer improves your chances of getting compensation. It also increases the amount of compensation through an insurance settlement or a personal injury lawsuit.
Hiring a personal injury attorney can almost double your chances of getting compensation. A car accident lawyer may be able to increase your payout by thousands of dollars by doing the following:Negotiating with the insurance company to get a reasonable settlement. A car accident lawyer will fight for your rights when you receive a low-ball offer;
- Handling conversations with the insurance adjuster;
- Framing evidence to support your case. A lawyer will work with accident reconstruction experts to prove that the other driver is responsible;
- Negotiating with the at-fault driver’s lawyer to get a reasonable settlement; and
- Advocating for your right to compensation if your case needs to go to trial
Seek Advice from a Georgia Car Crash Lawyer
Were you injured in a car accident?
You do have options to seek compensation on your own, but a Georgia car accident lawyer can improve your chances of getting the money you deserve.
Contact Georgia Auto Law for more information.